Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chapter 30 - Cassidy International, Kiritimati to Pago Pago International, American Samoa

This leg takes us over the equator into the Southern Hemisphere and we will now head south west for refueling and overnight. Don't know much about Pago Pago or American Samoa. Seems the town may have a population of about 14,000.

I guess that knowing very little about the island countries we are landing at is one of the major reasons I chose to do the trip. It is unlikely that I would have ever gone exploring  to these far away place as a tourist, so this is an opportunity which, after much consideration, I could not refuse.








A couple of photos from the internet.




The airstrip, which is 10,000' long and I read a note from a round-the-world flyer in 2007 who said to land 3000' long to avoid the rough surface and save your tyres.

Think they have had a devastating tsunami since then and it is probably in 100% condition.

Click on image to enlarge