Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter 11 - Across the Pacific?

Before going to the US to buy the aircraft, I had considered flying back with the ferry pilot. It took all of 3 seconds to decide that I most certainly would not fly that far across water in a single engine aircraft. I have enough trouble getting into a bath full of water without wearing floaties. For a couple of weeks I planned to ship it in a container. Although slightly cheaper, I was concerned with potential damage by removing wings and sliding it in and out of the container etc..

About 6 years ago, when the Piper Society flew to Tasmania, it took me months of research into ditching in the ocean and methods of trying to stay alive long enough to be rescued, before deciding that you didn't need a life jacket to go to Tassie as hypothermia would get you long before help arrived. I went, but sweated all the way.

David Ind had flown on the ferry flight of his Saratoga from the USA and he said he would like to do it again so I offered him the seat.

Whenever I mentioned that I didn't have the courage to fly that long over the water, all pilots, without exception, silently agreed by shaking their heads from side to side. That confirmed to me that I had made the right decision.

As time went by, I kept thinking about why shouldn't I do it. My Arrow had flown Megs and me around for 1200 hours without a hint of trouble. We had flown over all sorts of country, although I always take the longer route to fly over flat grasslands. Surely the Saratoga could stay in the air for the first 40-50 hours of my ownership. What's the worst that could happen? The intended pilot, Ray Clamback had been into the Pacific Ocean on two occassions and survived. He was experienced at ditching at sea and surviving. Prior to the Tassie trip, I had read all I could find on ditching at sea and it seemed to me that everyone (almost) survived the ditching. All that remained for survival was to get into a life raft or if floating in a life jacket, make sure there were no sharks around. Anyhow, if there were sharks and they took your legs off it would improve your bouyancy.

With all of this going on in my head, the most telling argument for going on the Pacific crossing was the advice given to me 3 years ago by Bairnsdale Air Charter owner, Bob Hussey, after I had landed at Latrobe Valley on my way to Bairnsdale, due to rapidly deteriorating weather. I phoned him and asked what the weather was like at Bairnsdale. He said that he had just made it in IFR with the weather at minima. After a brief discussion, he asked how old I was and I told him I was 67 years old. After a couple of seconds thought he said 'You might as well give it a go. You don't have a lot to lose.'

I decided that I would go if David pulled out. I would not tell David of my decision, as being a gentleman, he would opt out in my favour. However, as the winds are likely to cause considerable delays, he advised me a week ago that he could not afford a long time away from work.

So here I go.

No comments: