Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chapter 15 - It has arrived

Notification of deregistration has arrived from the FAA and an application has been made to registered the Saratoga as VH-EXS. Although a little bit of a mouthful "Echo, X-ray, Sierra", we thought that VH-EXCESS properly describes the irrationality of the purchase.

After tomorrow, it is likely that the only thing holding us back is the weather, which is still averaging 18 knots headwind at 9,000'. We would like an average 5 knots tail wind.

Having overcome fear (to some extent) of the long flight over the water, with the impending registration, the reality of the situation is taking effect. The long delay had reduced the level of inevitability and anxiety. Now, departure is imminent. Megan said she will be following the flight and I said "It will be night. You will be asleep during the long flight". She said "No I won't. I'll be awake all night. I'm scared"!.

"You're scared?" I replied "How do you think I feel? It's me it's happening to!"

For some reason I thought of Bastille day (July 14) and I thought it must be a bit like the prisoners waiting to have their heads chopped off. While hope of a reprieve remains a possibility, the pressure is not so great. As soon as the gaoler says "We're definitely chopping it off next week", reality bites.

I thought, I will call on the AA prayer which I usually use when under pressure or when stressed out & it always gets me out of trouble.

Give me the strength to accept the things I cannot change.
Courage to change the things I can.
Wisdom to know the difference.

This is the first time it has let me down. I realised that I hadn't had the 'wisdom to change the things I can'.

Oh well, it is back to Bob Hussey's comment "Give it a go" ( At your age) "You don't have a lot to lose".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It does seem to be scaring. Courage, courage, courage.