Friday, January 15, 2010

Chapter 2 - 1977 model Piper Arrow III turbo VH-HKZ


Megan and I have owned our wonderful single engine four seat aircraft for about 18 years. Since we bought it we have maintained and renovated it both inside and outside and have added a Garmin 430 GPS.

We have had many great trips in the Arrow and visited every corner of Australia and most of the major towns and many of the smaller town, farms, and B & B's inland.

We have enjoyed the company of many other travellers, and in particular aviators who we have met, but most especially our trips with the Australian Piper Society.

When I bought the turbo Arrow, I was not as technically savvy as I am today. A number of people questioned why I bought a turbo charged aircraft as we don't have many mountains and what we do have are not high. The turbo was seen as not being necessary and just an added cost. At the time I bought it I had no idea about what I was buying other than after gaining my PPL, I flew this and its sister turbo Arrow whenever I hired an aircraft. When it came up for sale I just bought it without thinking about alternatives. Maybe a dumb way to make a decision, but a decision I am happy that I made, about 18 years ago.

Since then I have come to really understand the benefits of being turbo charged in that I can get over the mountains at height and I can get above the thermals and I can maintain speeds at high altitudes which a normally aspirated aircraft can't do.

I have now purchased a 2000 model turbo charged Piper Saratoga II TC in the USA.

Click on photo to enlarge

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Check out www.clubpiper.com