Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chapter 13 - Ditching experience

Don't know whether I have previously mentioned that Ray Clamback has done over 200 crossings of the Pacific Ocean in light aircraft. Maybe I didn't mention that he has twice been in the Pacific Ocean after ditching aircraft. Once in 1999 and again in 2004. Obviously he survived both and remains undaunted. When I thought that I would be sharing the flight with Ray, I rationalised that he has been in twice so it is unlikely that he would go in again. If he did, he was at least experienced at ditching and survival.

Now I was with Lyn. I knew she had over 50 crossings to her name and some Atlantic and long ferry flights over faraway wilderness country. So that's good. Into Google Search to see if she rates a mention.

Sure enough, there she was on the front page of the Hawaii Star Bulletin web site dated 11 June 2006. Yuh! She too had ditched. Twin engine Seminole, 535 NM from  Hawaii. Maybe ditching is just a standard and regular event in Pacific crossings. At least I had another ferry pilot who was experienced at ditching.

Last check in the process was to look at the cost of insuring the plane and pilots for the crossing which is about 0.75% of the cost of the plane pre GST and Stamp Duty. If I assume the insurance company will make say 50% as income on their insurance premiums. If so, their expectation is about one ditching in 300 flights.

Getting really technical, I reasoned that if I bought a ticket in a pub for a chook raffle and there were 300 tickets, I would not be likely to win the chook. I therefore reasoned that with the same odds of ditching in the Pacific, I was reasonably safe. Good maths, logic and common sense?

Read Lyn's ditching at the following link http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/06/11/news/story01.html

No comments: