Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter 12 - The important question most people don't ask.

Well ! What is it?

Flying 12-14 hours across the Pacific in a small aircraft with 2 seats in the front and fuel tanks in the back.

What about toilet facilities? Skip this Chapter if bodily functions are of no interest to you.

After some thought, I raised the issue with David Ind. He told me that when he flew with Ray Clamback, before take off Ray had thrown a red bucket into the plane. David asked, "What's that for"? Ray replied, "I may need a -----". "Not in my plane", replied David. "How to you plan to stop me", retorted Ray.

That solves that.

Then I found out that there are probably three aircraft leaving together and that I would now be paired with female pilot Lyn Gray. Rationalise it this way. We are all basically anatomically the same, just a little bit different in execution. That will do. Ok. I can handle this. After all I once walked Melbourne's parks wearing an overcoat and sand shoes. This should be easy.

When I spoke with Lyn and told her that David was out and I was in, after about 40 seconds she asked if I was shy. I said I was but had thought it through and I would be able to cope. She said she would look out the window at the clouds. I ask where she would look if the sky was clear.

Lyn told me that her previous co-pilots all had different techniques. Some kneeling - anyhow enough of that. Obviously there were no clouds at those times!

For the first part of the trip we are committed to remaining in the front seats as the extra load of fuel in the back takes the load back toward the aft limit of weight & balance. However, when we have burned off a few hours of fuel we may be able to climb over the front seats and be a little more dignified.

Hope that answers the question everyone wants to ask, but few do.

No comments: